Monday, November 10, 2014

Let's talk Music!

Konbanwa!  Turtle-chan here with a new topic of discussion that--amazingly--has not been breached on this blog yet!  The reason I say it's amazing is because it's my favorite topic, but also my least favorite because people are so opinionated, which is great but I hate the uninformed attacks that tend to result.  So, I generally feel uncomfortable sharing my musical preferences because a lot of the bands I listen to have generated a lot of stigma against them among various groups of people.  I'm okay with people not liking my music, but I'm not okay with people going around and bashing things they don't understand, so let's please not have any of that.  It's just childish and rude.
Anyway, now that I've gotten that out of the way I'll move on to the bands.  They're in no particular order because I'm not sure what band is my favorite right now and it would be a major pain in the posterior to try and put all these dudes in order!
- My Chemical Romance                        - Dead or Alive
- Black Veil Brides                                  - Green Day
- Cinderella                                              - Alice Cooper
- Skid Row                                              - The Neighbourhood
- Smashing Pumpkins                             - Fall Out Boy
- Panic! at the Disco                                - Falling in Reverse
- All Time Low                                       - Flock of Seagulls
- The All-American Rejects                    - Dethklok (yes, I know they're not a real band :P )
- Helloween                                             - Avenged Sevenfold
- Iron Maiden                                           - Rise Against
- Radiohead                                             - Billy Idol
- Scorpions                                               - The Killers
- Whitesnake                                            - Rammstein
- Bastille                                                   - Blink-182
- Imagine Dragons                                   - Muse
- Metallica                                                - Starship
- They Might Be Giants                           - The White Stripes
- Spandau Ballet                                       - The Psychedelic Furs
- Rata Blanca                                            - Extremoduro
- Zwan                                                      - MGMT
- Arctic Monkeys                                      - Funeral for a Friend
I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of just off of the top of my head.  It's a relatively diverse grouping as it is, so you can still kind of get a feel for what I like.  Basically, I like metal, hard rock, and alternative rock with a touch of pop punk, indie, and '80s pop mixed in.  Usually when I tell people the bands I like, they freak out.  I guess people think that I have too much of a "good girl" aura or something to enjoy stuff like emo or metal?  I don't really know.  Either way, it's what I like and it's also what I'm good at singing and playing.
I'm not sure if I've shared this yet or not, but music is pretty much my life when I'm not at school.  I'm that kid that always has headphones in and goes home and blasts music all night until she goes to bed.  I also play or used to play several instruments--oboe, flute, guitar, and a little keyboard--as well as singing.  You'll notice that all of the bands I listen to have male singers, so some my singing style is a bit more powerful and masculine than many girls', but I also know how to soften things up.  I can be kind of "edgy," for lack of a better term.  I have an attitude, but I generally am not able to show it so I just put it all into my music.  My main instrument aside from my voice is guitar.  I'm not great at it, but I've been working on it and once I've got it, I've got it.  It just takes me a little while to learn songs because I'm so methodical about it.
Something I'm not willing to share with the people I know in real life right now is that I'd love to start making YouTube videos of myself doing covers of songs.  I don't want to be one of those people who does it for the attention, because I'm just not that kind of person.  The reason I want to do it is so I can start getting used to performing because I get really nervous, especially if I can see who I'm performing for and if anyone in the crowd knows me.  I did a guitar piece for Spanish Club Convention last year and I thought I was going to be sick until about halfway through the song when I was really getting into it and I found a stage persona that I could hide behind to get me through.  Later in the year, I sang at our school's poetry festival but I got so scared I forgot the lyrics after the first verse and I thought I was going to start crying on the stage, but I managed to pick myself back up and keep going.  I would really like to be in a band at some point and I'm hoping that once I get to college I'll find some musically inclined people to play with, but if I'm going to even consider being in a band, I need to work on not freezing up in front of an audience.  Hence, the YouTube videos idea.  It will give a little audience practice and I know I'll get feedback one way or another because heaven knows there are people burning up the airways in the YouTube comment section. 
I think the main reason I haven't tried it yet is because I'm afraid of the feedback.  I've finally gotten to the point where I really like the way my voice sounds, but I don't know if other people would like it.  I'm also afraid that people will judge my singing based solely off of my looks or choice of music.  It's probably an invalid concern, but it's still a concern I have.  Maybe I'll get over it and maybe I won't.  It all depends on me and whether I can break outside of my comfort zone just a little bit.
Well, anyway, it's so late that it's early now, so I'm going to go to bed.  I've had a cold ever since Halloween and I don't feel like it's going away at all; in fact, I feel like I've been getting progressively worse by the day and today is definitely the worst day I've had as far as symptoms.  My throat is killing me and I'm just totally drained.  But I can't complain because I brought it upon myself by not wearing enough clothes and exposing myself to people who had the cold already!  Yeah, that's all for now, guys.  Goodnight!


- Turtle-chan

No comments:

Post a Comment