Monday, November 24, 2014

YouTube, A.K.A. the Black Hole of the Internet

Konichiwa!  This time I'm going to talk about YouTube, obviously.  "Why do you say that YouTube is the black hole of the internet, Turtle-chan?" you may ask.  Well, I'll tell you!  I think that every time I get on YouTube (which is more than I'd like to admit!) I end up staying on for hours.  Most of the time, I'm just listening to music, but a lot of the time I'm watching videos.  I'll get on after school, intending to just put some music on to listen to while I do my homework, and then I'll look back up at the clock and it'll be time for dinner and I won't have gotten any homework done at all yet.  Yeah, it's the black hole of the internet.  It sucks you in and then you never get out!
So, what do I get distracted watching?  Well, there are a few YouTubers/YouTube groups that I've discovered over the past year.  I'm pretty geeky, so some of them are geek-related.  I also like sarcastic comedy, so some are comedy.  I also like to listen to covers of music, so two of them are singers.  I know for sure that one of the YouTubers I like is largely disliked because people don't understand his sense of humor.  Bet you can't guess who it is off of the list I'm about to give you! (Warning: that was sarcasm!)  Also, they're in no real order of preference.  I'm just kind of listing them off.
- Onision
- Blimey Cow
- BuzzFeed
- Chealytheninja
- PelleK
- Funimation
- Yogscast


So yeah, if you guessed Onison is the one that everyone hates, you would be right.  It's actually pretty comical to read the comments on his videos to see how ignorant everyone is, but I also feel bad for him because he gets so much hate even though he seems like such a nice guy.  He has a few different channels.  The ones I can think of are Onision, OnisionSpeaks, and UhOhBro.  The first and the last are largely used for making fun of... well... everything!  I really like OnisionSpeaks because you get to see more of his personality and even in the videos that make fun of everything, I don't think he's really trying to offend people more than point out issues and make people laugh.  I don' know.  I like what he does, though.  Oh, and it doesn't hurt that he, too, loves Andy Biersack and BVB.  But I think he's a little creepier about it than I am! (>^<)  Also, he's friends with PelleK who I will talk about later!  Next on the list is Blimey Cow.  This is a group of college students, I believe, who basically just talk about life.  They discuss common problems for teenagers and, well, people in general, but they do it in a comedic way even while giving good advice.  I really like how they can do that and it's really interesting to watch their videos.  BuzzFeed... Yes, I think BuzzFeed may be the heart of the black hole of the internet...  They only have about a billion channels and their stuff is pretty much really geeky, so of course I love it and once you get on you can never get off. But it's still great and you guys should totally watch the videos with BuzzCreep in them.  He's absolutely hilarious!  Ah, Chealytheninja. He's a new find.  Chealytheninja is a guy who does covers of songs, largely in the hard rock, alt rock, emo, and scream genres.  He's an absolutely adorable Welsh emo guy and he frequently wears guyliner and he's basically just really funny on top of having an amazing voice and great taste in music!  Now we're to PelleK.  I found him last year on the interwebs.  PelleK is also a musician, but he's from Norway.  He does speak English in all of his videos as far as I know and his Twitter is in English as well (yes, I follow him and Onision on Twitter...  "It's not stalking, it's called taking an interest" as Izaya would say...).  He makes power metal covers of pop songs, covers of old power metal songs, and anime songs, as well as singing his own compositions.  His voice is gorgeous and he has four octaves of vocal range.  For those of you who don't know what that means, essentially he can sing really low or really high or anywhere in between.  The only other singer I know of that had four octaves is Freddie Mercury (he was the singer for the band Queen), to put things into perspective.  Below is one of his videos in which he demonstrates his vocal range.  It's beautiful and I wish I could sing as well as he does!  If you decide you want to listen to more after watching the video, I'd recommend his metal cover of "Barbie Girl" by Aqua.  It's extremely impressive. (\m/^_^\m/)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoQ_Y6FUqE
The last one is probably very familiar to you anime fans out there.  Funimation is a company that releases English translations of anime and they have several series posted to YouTube.  That's actually how I watch most of my anime.  Unfortunately, because there's so much on YouTube, it's sometimes hard to find anime that isn't on YouTube but does belong to Funimation.  A good example of this would be Code Breaker which my brother has been wanting to watch but hasn't been able to find in English.  And lastly, the Yogscast.  This is just for their Yogsquest videos, though.  Literally, it's just five super geeky guys dressed up and making Dungeons and Dragons as ridiculous as possible.  For real, Sips dresses up as an ogress bard, I believe it was, and sings hilariously.  It's just great!
Anyway, now you guys know more about me and you might just get hooked on one or more of these awesome YouTubers!  I'd highly recommend trying any one of them out if it sounds interesting to you!  See you on the flip side!


- Turtle-chan

No comments:

Post a Comment