Sunday, November 2, 2014

Catching Up and Day of the Dead

Konichiwa!  I'm going to try to catch up on all of my Halloween stuff that I ran out of time for and tell you guys about the Day of the Dead, which is today.  Hold on tight, because I've got a lot to cover and not a lot of time!
Okay, so first, I never posted my last Halloween nail art design.  This one was inspired by the ombre obsession that I've noticed lately.  It's kind of a classier, more adult looking nail art for Halloween and I got a lot of compliments for it at school.  All you have to do is paint your nails a solid color and then paint the second color on a sponge and dab it on.  I'd recommend using the darker color as the base and the lighter color for the sponge, unlike what I did.  I also used a variation of this design for prom last year.  As usual, sorry for the small size!

Next on the agenda, Halloween animes!  I have no idea how to embed a video into these posts to where you don't have to click on a link, so you reader-sans are about to get a bunch of links to awesome videos.  Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2iSOr3FYm8&index=6&list=UUm6yYwhAaKF-S1X1yS2KzSw   - Misty/Chronexia Halloween Top 10 Best Vampire Anime EVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3DXCNk7fF0&index=5&list=UUm6yYwhAaKF-S1X1yS2KzSw   - Misty/Chronexia ~Halloween~ Zombies Animes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji7yApG5U4M&list=UUm6yYwhAaKF-S1X1yS2KzSw&index=4   - Misty/Chronexia ~Halloween~ Top 10 Best Ghost Anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L9RIHs_2hI&index=3&list=UUm6yYwhAaKF-S1X1yS2KzSw     - Misty/Chronexia Halloween Top 10 Best Demons and Devil Anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFL07I5q6I&list=UUm6yYwhAaKF-S1X1yS2KzSw&index=1    - Misty/Chronexia ~Halloween~ Top 10 Most Gore and Violent Animes
So, just a warning: Misty/Chronexia is a very good judge of anime for the most part, in my opinion, however he has some eccentricities that might confuse or bother some viewers.  For one, he is not a native English speaker.  He is French Canadian and has a bit of an accent, but his English is largely very good and I rarely have trouble understanding him.  Two, he has an obsession with "vivid colors."  Just roll with it; it's easier that way.  Three, he refers to anime as "amines."  This is on purpose to essentially screw with viewers, so don't worry too much about it.  It's for comedic effect, basically.  And finally, four: at the end of every episode, he does these little stories with characters he's created.  They're really funny, but really confusing if you don't know what's going on as far as the context goes.  Essentially, at some point there was a comment about pianos or something and since then he's been doing shorts about pianos taking over the world.  All of his viewers are part of the "Yuu Daviewer army" (yes, as in You the Viewer) and Misty (I believe he's supposed to be Chronexia and he's created a character named Misty) as well as a character I believe he refers to as Vivid Colors fight against a character who is either called Tabita or Tabitha (I can't quite tell which because he speaks very quickly through these parts) and her piano army.  It's funny, but I was lost for a long time over it because I had no clue what was going on.
Alright, last point for Halloween: costumes.  So, I went as Medusa Gorgon from Soul Eater this year, and I think this may be my best costume work yet, so I wanted to share it with you guys.  Also, I write about anime a lot, so I figured it was appropriate.  I'll post a picture of the full costume and then just of the makeup and then I'll tell you a little about how I did it.





So, what I did was go get a black sweatshirt from the thrift store and what I found was a men's large (I wear a small or medium in juniors, depending on if it's short or long sleeves, to put this into perspective).  I cut off the sleeves and flipped it inside out and pinned and sewed it into the shape I wanted.  Then, I cut out the snake eyes for the hood out of some white fabric and hand sewed it on.  I also got a blonde wig and cut it into the shape I wanted and then gelled and hair sprayed it so it would stay.  The arm bands I made out of aluminum foil (not comfortable, but effective) and I painted the snake tattoos onto my arms with some oil-based costume makeup.  For her eyes and other facial features, I also used the costume makeup, but this time in black and white.  Before I did that, though, I put on foundation and powder to make my skin look as smooth as possible and a little darker than it actually is.  For the eyes, I took some eyeliner and drew my eyes out a touch further than they actually go and made them look more square than rounded.  I painted the blank space in with white makeup.  For the mouth, I just stared at a picture of Medusa's smirking face and I tried as best as I could to replicate it.  I also did my nails, but I forgot to take a picture of them before they got all messed up, but they're pretty easy.  All you do is paint them completely black and then go back and paint yellow arrows on them with the tips of the arrows pointing up your hand or foot.
And of course, Day of the Dead.  I'd put it in Spanish for you, but I can't stand when there aren't accent marks in the proper places, so I won't.  Anyway, its a Mexican holiday that celebrates the lives of those who have died and it is believed that on this day, All Soul's Day, the spirits of the dead are closest to us.  They set up shrines and decorate the graves of their loved ones and many families will have picnics in the cemetery.  I love this holiday because we white anglo saxons don't have a holiday that celebrates life like this.  I think we're too gloomy!  There's a big city right next to the town I live in that holds a Day of the Dead festival every year and we went to it for the first time this year.  It was a lot of fun, even though I was freezing.  My brother and I painted our faces like sugar skulls and I dressed up all the way.  We ate some authentic Mexican food and looked at the shrines and it was just really interesting in general.  If you live near a place that holds a Day of the Dead festival, I'd strongly recommend you go at least once.  I'll put a picture below of my Day of the Dead makeup.  My brother, my aunt, her friend, and I got a lot of compliments on our costumes and makeup and a lot of people ended up taking our pictures because of it.  It's always satisfying when a costume makes people happy!



Anyway, that's all I have time for.  I've been out in the cold a lot the past three days without appropriate clothing on and I've given myself a cold, it would seem, so I need to get some sleep if I'm going to make it through school tomorrow!  I hope I'll be able to post again soon, but if I'm sporadic at best throughout November, it's probably because of National Novel Writing Month (NaNo WriMo) that I'm doing with my school's Creative Writing Club.  If I have time, I'll try to keep you posted on that, but if not, I'll make sure to post a link or something so you reader-sans can read it if you're interested.  I'm really excited about it!
Well, I'm going to bed now!  Keep on rockin' and rollin'! >^<

- Turtle-chan

No comments:

Post a Comment